Sycamore Elementary is located approximately six miles south of Interstate 10 in the town of Corona de Tucson, Arizona at 16701 S. Houghton Road (85641). Our phone number is 520-879-2500 and our fax number is 520-879-2501. Our principal is Ken Graff.
Sycamore opened in July of 2003 with an energetic staff and enthusiastic students with the creed United Through Community-Dedicated to Learning as our guide for establishing a safe and caring learning environment for the children in our care.
Our goal is to educate not just the mind of the child, but also the heart. Our strong academic focus is coupled with a desire to raise responsible and caring citizens through community involvement and a dedicated and caring staff. To that end, members of our community are strongly encouraged to become involved with our school through volunteering and tutoring, and parents are encouraged to become involved in their child’s education and to stay in contact with their child’s teacher.
Our Parent Teacher Association actively supports our teachers and students by funding grants and field trips, as well as sponsoring numerous family events throughout the year. Parents and staff are
always welcome to attend meetings which are typically held in the evening in Sycamore’s Community Room.
Sycamore also offers a wide variety of clubs and extracurricular activities for its students, including Band and Choir, Science Nights, Muppet Club, Higher Level Thinking Club, Curriculum Nights, Jr. Optimist Club, Family Reading Nights, and also offers after school tutoring for students.
Our mission statement, established at the opening of Sycamore and revisited each year, is based on the Guiding Principles of the Vail School District.
- Our mission is to provide a safe and caring learning environment designed to assess and meet the individual needs of all students and properly ensure mastery of State and Vail School District standards.
- We believe uniting and engaging our community will strengthen our commitment to developing a professional learning environment and achieving our mission. We envision a school where:
- Teams will collaboratively plan instruction that meets or exceeds the state standards;
- Balanced Literacy Reading will meet each child’s instructional level;
- We will teach and practice the values of respect, personal and social responsibility, honesty, and hard work through our ACT Statement;
- Each student’s learning will be monitored through on-going assessments;
- Children will obtain a quality education;
- Individual effort and accountability are essential in successful learning;
- Children will be provided a safe and secure environment;
- Children will have a sense of belonging;
- Parents, relatives, faculty, and community will be involved in the school;
- Our school will have high academic and character standards.
The efforts of Sycamore’s Staff, Students, and Community have been recognized in the continued success of its students including the recognition of our S.U.M.S. Program and teacher Chandra Flanagan as an A+ Exemplary Program, and again in May of 2009 when Sycamore was recognized as an A+ School of Excellence by the Arizona Educational Foundation. It is through the efforts of our Sycamore Learning Community that this recognition was made possible.
Sycamore is proudly one of Arizona’s Excelling Schools through the efforts of students, staff, parents, and community members, and will continue to strive for excellence in all that we do!